Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:13:08 -0400
With regard to the ferret rescue in Titusville--

Please- LET ME BE THE FIRST ONE TO SAY AS A RESCUER AND LICENSED
SHELTERER, I am glad the ferrets are safe and being cared for - but
I want and NEED to pass along this information:

I called the Brevard Cty ACO office this AM needing clarification on the
past reports, it just did not jibe with the national SPCA stand - and
spoke with Kenny in telecommunications looking for some answers on the
ferret rescue- Titusville

This is what he reported to me.

The rescue was assisted with the help of Sue Canada who has ties to the
No Animal Care Center and was done w/o ACO involvement.

According to Kenny, who did put me on hold to check with a supervisor,
Sypien was breeding and it got out of control.

He also affirmed my assumptions that no matter what the species Brevard
CO ACO would not euthanize but transport to Animal Care Center, and all
animals unless very ill, would be posted on the web site and placed for
adoption REGARDLESS OF SPECIES.

He further sated to his knowledge ACO's or SPCA have never euthanized any
animal regardless of species upon seizure.  They work with breed rescue
groups and promote placement through the website.

This is not to pass judgement against the groups who are assuming the
care & costs-- but, in the future, perhaps working within the confines of
the structured rescue organizations who HAVE the funding to go forth with
due process of law it would be BETTER for the FERRETS.  Now the offenders
can start their trade back up ( we have seen this in MA in years past)
and 4-5 years later another group of animals will need to be rescued and
medical care will be required.

This is a wake up call to all of us small rescues - we need to be
proactive and allow humane agencies to assist in these types of crimes
against animals.

Soapbox anyone?

Alicia Drakiotes,
shelter volunteer & educator.