From:
Melissa Russo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:13:20 EDT
hi guys!  someone posted the other day about possible ear mites and smelly
ear/head area, but i never saw any replies.  i am having the same problem
with my girl.  she is 8 months old and and my only ferret.  i got her from
a pet store when she was about 7-8 weeks old, and she's always had this
problem.  her ears are always full of reddish-brown dirt.  suspecting
mites, i treated her with ear drops myself to no avail.  then about a
month later the vet treated her with tresaderm.  we finished out her
prescription, but the darn things still never went away!  i was starting
to think maybe she just had dirty ears or a lot of wax or something, but
she literally needs her ears cleaned everyday!  i usually clean them with
q-tips and peroxide every couple days.  i didn't really think much about
the smell until i read that post the other day.  her head/neck area smells
bad too!  and she just had a bath...i sniffed her farther down her back and
she still smelled clean everywhere else.  she used to scratch at her ears a
lot, but i never see her do it anymore...maybe b/c i clean them so often?
anyway, i just called the vet again to see about maybe getting her some
ivermectin, which is also what my rabbit is on for skin mites.  has anyone
had similar ear problems?  let me know your thoughts...

-M & her zoo: Pumpkin the dog, Willy the cat, Bandit the ferret, and
Patches & Matty bunnies!

ps-RANDY did you get my email on food, etc?  i think i might have used the
wrong address...

Melissa Russo

"What do we live for if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
                        -George Eliot