From:
Sherry Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 11:16:57 -0400
I haven't been able to keep up much lately, and I must admit that some of
what I've picked up on both of these subjects was from them being quoted
in other posts, but I'd like to post a few points about breeding and
sheltering, and shows, since some negative comments have been made about
both.

As far as being a breeder and a shelter.  Both propositions are really not
that different.  It's all about a love of the animal, at least from the
breeder/shelterers I've met.  Our local shelterer became a shelterer
because she believes that if she is going to breed ferrets, she has an
obligation to take in rescues, as well.  Hobby breeding is not a money
making situation, as some seem to think.  The only way to make money as a
breeder is to have the methods of the big commercial farms, where you don't
put the money into health care and produce mass amounts of animals with a
large market to sell in.  Most hobby breeders do it because they love
ferrets, and want to help create healthy, happy pets, and see them go to
good homes and make their owners lives more complete.  A shelterer takes
in ferrets because they know that otherwise these animals will probably be
turned lose to die, or be euthinized by a shelter not equipped for ferrets.
Again, the hope is to find the ferret a good home.  And as Susan from
Ferrets Unlimited Rescue of Tulsa pointed out so nicely, we also always
recommend shelter ferrets to new owners, homes with small children and
people who want a ferret but can't afford the prices of kits.  I've never
seen a rescue ferret turned away in Columbus, and our shelter mom doesn't
have much problem placing them.  She has also had people who came for a kit
go home with a rescue.  I think having both to choose from gets more people
to her home to think about adopting rescues.

As far as shows being cruel.  A good shower knows when a ferret isn't up to
the stress of being shown.  There is some stress involved in it, but there
are also many good things that come from it.  It gives the show ferrets a
chance to learn to be handled by different people, which also is necessary
for doing educational ferret events.  It helps novice ferret owners learn
about grooming that they hadn't previously known about such as nail
clipping, ear cleaning and teeth scaling.  Since most ferret show standards
are things which are good for the ferrets health, such as strong healthy
bone structure, and good muscle mass, it helps breeders understand what
things are good to breed for.  And since ferret shows invariable draw some
new ferret owners, or ferret owners who've previously had no contact with
shelters and clubs, it educates them on resources they've never known
exsisted.  It also helps people who have purchased their first ferrets from
pet stores realize that it is better for the ferrets to come from home
breeding programs, where kits aren't neutered at the age of 4/5 weeks, and
not shipped out at ages where they should still be with their mothers.  In
my opinion, ferrets would be alot worse off without the show industry.

Sherry