From:
Christina Haxton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:57:50 EDT
I recently adopted (from the origninal owner of 4 yrs) a female ferret
who had a small balding spot on her back (left side).  Within two weeks
of having her, she lost almost all the hair on her back, from her
shoulderblades to her hips on both sides.  No vulva swelling, and other
than she's also biting hairs off near her lower abdomen and near her
shoulderblades, and her hairs on her abdomen are coarse (as is her coat
generally), she has no other symptoms of adrenal disease.  The vet said
since she had no other symptoms of adrenal, the hair loss could be due to
stress (new environment/house, kids, lots of activity).  Other than
Ferretone, Ferravite and time (the vet gave it til end of Sept., and if she
doesn't regrow coat by then, then we'll reevaluate), has anyone else seen
this type of hair loss with stress?