From:
the return of weezilarchy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2001 08:48:42 -0800
i have an ethical dilemma... help!

a little over a week ago, a found ferret was brought to me for
safekeeping.  i felt like it was my duty to at least *try* to find his
onwer, so i did call around to all the places a lost weezil might have
been reported.  nothing.  i also put a lost ad in, which i finally got a
call about *yesterday*.  apparently, this guy's sister saw it, and gave
him the info.

he called, and from his description, it definitely sounds like this is
indeed his little lost boy.  he doesn't, however, sounds like he cares
about the ferret at *all* as anything other than something he "spent a
hundred and fifty dollars on." (yes, that is a direct quote.

meanwhile, i've fallen in love with this little fuzzy, and the idea of
giving him up to a home where he won't get the kind of love i give him is
heartbreaking.  the thought of not being able to visit him is terrible.  i
need him to dig at my carpet and give me kisses and keep my other ferrets
active and on their toes...

the man who called didn't say "i really miss him, i really hope it's him,
i love this little guy," or anything like that.... not "my kids really
miss him" or "my wife/girlfriend really loves him"... nothing...just "if
he's mine, i want him back, because i spent a hundred and fifty dollars
for him.  if he's not mine, i don't want him."

i really feel like if i let the fuzzy go to him, he'll just be going back
to a home where chances are, he'll escape again, where he's not loved or
anything.

i mean, yes, i know accidents happen.  i lost four of mine to a
easier-to-open-than-i-thought sliding glass door a couple months ago--
but, and here's the thing--i FOUND them.  i looked and looked and posted
signs all over the place and placed lost ads in the paper and put out
humane traps in my backyard and shoe-polished it on the back of the car...
and went outside and hunted and hunted for them...

and let me tell you, this little one is special.  he always gives me
kisses, constantly wants to be played with, he's a ball of energy, he's
*beautiful*, and i've really gotten attached to him.  i don't know what
to do.  i don't know how much of my reticence is selfishness based on the
fact that i love this little fert so much, and how much of it is actually
based in a desire to keep him in a home where he has other fuzzies to play
with and gets love and kisses all the time.

i really dont' know what to do.  i told him i'd call him back on tuesday
to arrange something, try and figure out if it's really his, and i don't
*want* to!

help....

i'm miserable and all torn up about this.

-kat-

=====
       (  / \" /
        \(_  \(_   ferrets may nip, but people just suck.