From:
Laura L'Heureux Kupkee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 1995 14:02:45 CDT
Okay, for once it's my turn to ask a question.

I know that we've disussed blindness in albinos and ruby-eyeds before.
Nonetheless, I have a similar question.

My ferret, Tribble, is a spotted silver mitt.  She's two, I've had her since
she was two months, and I've *yet* to figure her out.  Trella, her sisiter,
when you look into her face, well, she has that bright, intelligent,
inquisitive expression that ferrets have.  But Tribble, well, she just has
this really blank ruby-eyed stare.  I mean, I can't figure out if she's go
very little gray matter in that little head, or if maybe, she stares blankly
because she doesn't see, or at least not much.  I've never seen her run into
anything.  And she can sure see well enough to chase Trella around the room
and find things to get into trouble with -- she never misses the wastebasket
or their dryer hose.  But if you wave your hand in front of her face without
touching her whiskers, she doesn't seem to look or blink.  I just can't
figure out if it's some sort of a neurological deficit, or a vision deficit,
or both.  Anybody, including drs., have a clue?

Laura

Laura L'Heureux Kupkee
U. of Illinois Vet Med Class of `96