From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:45:54 +1000
>>As soon as there is any incidence of deafness, the entire bloodline
>>should be shut down..  then, eventually there will be NO recessive gene
>>left for deafness..(or at least that particular genetic strain of
>>deafness)
>
>Whoops, you forgot the math involved.  Remember that as you decrease
>the number of animals with a recessive then there is less and less
>chance of combining two who have a good chance of having the recessive
>hidden in them to allow you to spot it through expression, so over time
>it becomes harder and harder to spot even though it is still present in
>the population.  So, you can't breed it out but you can reduce it.

Thank You Sukie, your explanations are very clear and make a lot of
sense, I understand the whole issue much clearer now then I thought I
did ;).  I appreciate the crash course in genetics too :), it has been
a great help in furthering my understandings of the issues involved..

Thank you very much :)
Darrin