From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1992 09:17:50 -0400
>      My ferret has turned on me! He's after my blood! Well, ok, maybe I'm
> exaggerating a little. Here's the story. I've had Buddy for about 2 months
> now, and during that time he hasn't shown the slightest aggressive behavior
> toward me, at least until recently. In the past few days, though, he has
> bitten me hard enough to draw blood three times. The first two were partly

(a) How old is your ferret? If he's teething, he might be in pain. This
might cause a sudden change in behavior. I'd spray bitter apple on my
hands (and then let it dry) before handling him. If it's just a behavior
thing, this should help.

(b) If he's not teething, I'd be concerned that something is wrong with
him. I don't think it's typical for any animal to have sudden changes in
behavior. He might be sick, in pain from something, have a brain tumor,
etc. When was the last time he was at the vet's? Does he flinch when you
touch him any particular place? If they're in pain or upset, sometimes
mine make an unusual "chittering" sound -- almost like a throaty
R-R-R-R-R The time Skittles caught her toenail in a loop of a terrycloth
towel, she did that.

--Barb--