From:
Lisa Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 00:48:41 -0400
>>before scooter butt crossed i had to pretreat him!  i used the over the
>>counter benadryl 1 teaspoon about 1/2 an hour to 1 hour before the shots
>>where given!......the dose is 1/2 teaspoon - 1 whole teaspoon for every
>>4 pounds of weight

>That's way too much Benadryl.  The correct dosage is 2mg per kg,
>according to Dr. Williams.  2mg of Benadryl is about 0.8ml, which is less
>than 1/5 of a teaspoon (a teaspoon = 5ml).  A kg is 2.2 lbs.  He has said
>that for ease, you can pre treat with 1ml per ferret.  I go up a tad or
>down a tad for those who are extra large or extra small."

I have not seen the whole original post so I apologize if my 2 cents is
improper.  I just have a question, why are you pre treating?  Most vets
will pre treat with a sedative before they euthanize an animal.  That has
been my experience.

I tell you as hard as it was for me to let go of Whiskey I made sure that
her last time spent with me was a happy one.  I only wish I had thought
of this before.  Right before Whiskey died I was given time with her in
that time I had brought all her treats with her and she was able to pig
out.  Even though she was quite sick she was I could tell that her last
moments where improved.  She still has a piece of my heart.  I've got
tears in my eyes so I can't go on anymore.

Lisa & her 24 paws