From:
Sara Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2011 22:16:25 -0400
It was a lovely day at de Bridge. SaraFerret was sweeping out the
dustbunnies from the floor (how they do collect). Then she heard
a light tapping at her door and she turned and saw a sable fuzzy
there.

She said, "Hi Ozzy, what brings you here today?"

He replied, "Miss SaraFerret, I am the substitute courier. Didn't
you notice the note in my paw? I sure hope I don't forget how to
do all of this. I am new at this, after all. Anyway, a ferret is
crossing the Bridge. His family has requested that you greet him.
Do you want me to get his friends for you?"

He handed me the note and I read it. Then I replied, "Ozzy, there
is no need for you to fetch his family. They already know he is
coming. Do you want to come with me to meet the fuzzy. You will
get to see the dragons."

He nodded his head yes in reply, but then he said,"Are they nice
dragons?" I replied, "Just wait." And off we both flew.

We were both in time to see them. The very large dragons--Grale,
Naelyan, and Sairys- brought the light chocolate fuzzy across the
Bridge and put him right beside us. Ozzy just had to ask one of them
if they breathed fire. Sairys said, "We gave up smoking ages ago."
All three of them broke into gales of laughter as they flew off and
I couldn't resist a giggle. Ozzy asked if they were making a joke or
what. I just told him to let it go. Then I introduced myself to the
newcomer,

"Hi I am SaraFerret and I am the bridgegreeter. And this is Ozzy -- he
is one of the couriers. Welcome to the Rainbow Bridge. This is your new
forever home. Here you will have no more pain or suffering. You will
run on green grass forever and have lotsa friends. Did I mention the
fun and games?"

He looked at me and said, "My name is Fingle and my mum is Liz. I guess
you do know her by the way you joked with the dragons. I really didn't
want to come but I got terrible sick in my tummy and then I went to
sleep in my mum's arms. I don't see any of the other NZ ferrets and you
two look terribly puny, so you can't be one of us. And I don't see any
of the places to have fun and play games. Where are they?"

I replied, "Fingle, your friends will be along in a little while and
they will show you everything about the Bridge. I admit that we are
small compared to you. We are just small domestic MFs and sad to say
that is reality. But I will tell you a surprise right away. You will
be getting wings just like the dragons -- er -- wait a minute-not quite
as large -- maybe like mine and Ozzy's -- they will special for you.
That way you can fly about the heavens just like we do. However you
can't fly back home. So if you will follow me."

Off we went down the garden path to the Wing House where the wings were
stored. We opened the door and went in and on the counter was a big box
(of course). Fingle opened the box and took out the wings--bright red
with white edging. I helped him put on his wings and Ozzy adjusted his
halo. Then he ran to the big vanity mirror and gazed at his reflection.
He turned to me and said, "Gee I wish my Mum could see me now." Then I
gots an idea. So we opened the door and left there.

We started down the path and to Fingle's surprise, he was met by Addy,
Numbi, Badgy, and Pebbles. Now he knew that I hadn't been telling him
stories. These were truly his own kind. A brief reunion and onto the
Misting Pond. We sat down beside the cool clear water and with one
swish the vision of his mum Liz, Kayla, and Rhys, and all his NZ family
appeared. He got so excited he started waving and dooking with all of
his might.

"I love you so much. Thank you for loving me. Mum, thank you for
holding me in your arms. It was so comforting. I have beautiful wings
and soon I will fly. My friends are here and they will be able to show
me places to run and play."

Then he began to throw hugs and kisses and laid them on a nearby
shooting star which was headed to your house and by the time you should
read this it should have landed there. And with another swish the
vision was gone. We left there and went down the road to the NZ village
and what a beautiful place it was with the flags waving proudly and
music a-playing. They all ran down the path, fast as the wind leaving
us behind. They didn't even give us a chance to say goodbye. I could
see all the fuzzies gathered around him asking for news from home. So
it seemed as though Fingle was happy with his friends in his new home.

As for Ozzy and me, we were headed back to my cottage to eat cheerios
and drink sweet iced tea. Maybe I could explain the joke about the
dragons.

Lovey and hugs,
SaraFerret, bridgegreeter