From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 09:46:31 -0400
Hello Readers!

While the topic of SOS is open on this list let me just say as a SHELTERER,
SOS was formed to helped those sheltering who were perhaps not as fortunate
( strange choice of words?) to be tax exempt corporations.  the 501c3
status allows organizations to solicit donations and fund raise.

I am sorry that MC had a bad experience in the NJ Xmas event-- heck you
could have come here to help it was a madhouse for a month or two! :)

Back to the point of raising funds etc.  Many small shelters cannot do
this-- heck many bigger shelters still cannot do this.  I was one party who
did confide in the SOS team and ask they pursue the 501c3 status.  WHY?
Because they could do the work-- fund raise track and send needed supplies
and vet payments to those small entities who did not have the means to do
so themselves.  Simple and I think they are a very effective team if I do
say so.!  They could file the necessary forms and let the caretakers devote
their time to the ferrets.

This came about when I realized just how much time was needed to file
forms,with local, state and federal agencies in having a non profit, tax
exempt shelter.  If you can't pay a staff -- you don't have the time.
Still I tough it out-- call me LOCO!

The wonderful efforts of the three SOS gals has provided help to shelterers
who need it and done the tracking filing etc required by law.  They should
be commended for the dedication.  It was several years ago when the
organization began that Mary & Eric ran an article on the SOS program..
perhaps in a year or two a follow up to illustrate the good in the
community would be a great idea?

Alicia

PS- We have done our best at Ferret Wise to send donations to SOS in
emergency situations, as well as promote special SOS programs.  We also
have tried NOT to solicit for assists from them because we have taken the
steps to be self sufficient in our 501c3 status -- however in times of
seizures, mass admits etc.  there will most likely be a time when we would,
like any other operating shelter , need an assist-- and for this it is a
wonderful investment -- we help now hoping when needed we can receive the
help!

Thanks for all the devotion and dedication to all concerned with SOS-- it
beats all other humane welfare groups out there!

back to the cages!

www.ferretwise.org

check out hammies, publications & more which support the shelter at
www.ferretwise.org/funalia.html

or review our ebay auctions at:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewListedItems
&userid=creativekolor&include=0&since=-1&sort=2&rows=25