Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 07:39:06 -0500
HeyHeyHey,

I am writing in response to the thought that only the mother of this trio
that let this little ferret starve should be held accountable.

>to me the only one that should be accountable for it's current condition
>should be the mother!!!!!!

That was also my initial reaction but that opinion changed when I
really had time to think about it.  So, here is the reasoning for
punishing the GI

1. He is an adult male who was responsible for this little life.
2. He knew that bringing the ferret onto base was illegal and there would
   be consequences, shame only the ferret got the consequences.
3. You know he was in contact with his girlfriend and knew that ferret
   did not have food.  And if he claims he did not know, shame on him for
   not following up on his responsibility.
4. When his girlfriend told him her mother would not buy food, he should
   have gotten some.

My reasons for prosecuteing the girl are not as strong but I still feel
as if she should be charged in whatever way she can be.

1. I am sure she was eating while the ferret wasnt.  How hard was it to
   bring the little guy some kind of table scraps?
2. At 16, no allowance, no spare change?  I could always figure out how
   to get some cash.  Especialy just a dollar or two.
3. She could not cajole her boyfriend for cash or food?
4. She sat and basicly watched this ferret starve and did NOTHING! for a
   week solid.  At the very least her punishment should be a week without
   food.
5. I am not sure if she contacted the rescue person or that person found
   out some how, but it still remains, there was a week when the ferret
   ate nothing.

And the mother?  I think they should really throw the book at her.  I
wont even go into the reasons there as they are fairly obvious.

The shelter who has the ferret, Chance, is temporarily off line.  They
should be back on today.  At last report, Chance is doing very well and
eating like a little piggy and being a tipical kit altho still a little
wobbly from his mistreatment and near brush with death.

HappyTails,
Karen and the Scruff You Gang

"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter
of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with
their fellow man." Saint Francis of Assisi