From:
Melissa Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2002 06:24:37 -0800
Ok, this is a good one.  I've made the comment to several people,
responding to several different posts, with almost identical reactions
from me.

Oh, the wonders of carpet!!  I don't know about where everyone else lives,
but here, the big carpet stores will sell old carpet samples for $1.50
each for the 18" x 27" pieces and $75.00 for the 12" x 18".  These are
standard sizes, but often you can also find square pieces that are usually
about 24" x 24" or so, and other odd sizes.  Now, these pieces, especially
the bigger ones, are GREAT!!

When someone asked what they could use to cover their floor that was
not easily moved, but cheap and without rubber backing, I said "Carpet
Samples"!  The big ones are almost exactly the same size as your average
welcome mat, but are just regular carpet, so they don't have any non-slip
backing that a mat might have, etc.  You can get them in low piles or
berber, (Or any other style of carpet on the market today, or within the
last 20 years,) and in almost any color, or pattern.

Now someone asks about ramps.  The same carpet store you bought the
samples at will most likely cut them to your specifications for FREE,
and for another couple cents per inch, they will professionally bind the
pieces too, so no little pieces of carpet yarn get free, with those hard
little ends that ferrets can eat!!  Not only can you carpet your ramps,
but for less than $20, I carpeted TWICE OVER an entire 36" x 18", bi-level
cage, plus ramps!!  For the rampes, you could even probably have them
grommet the ends so you don't have to punch a whole in them, and then you
can fasten them to the top of the ramp with just about anything.

These carpet samples also make really good cheap door mats, floor mats for
bathrooms and kitchens, etc.  Heck, I could probably think of a dozen more
uses for carpet that just related to ferrets, let alone all the other
things they could be used for!

Melissa Barnes
Mira, Tasha, Robin, Nietzsche, Samurai and O'Dell
Missing Cael and Booboo always