From:
STARFerret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 23:14:16 EST
>We can be prepared and have press kits prepared and setting at local
>shelters ready to be used at a moments notice.  But then, that is a job a
>national organization would and should do, isn't it?

I'm a bit behind on FML's again.....

STAR* has a LOT of the info referred to above - and I have offered it time
and again - just look at my pleas to get people to get the compenduim, make
copies and pass them out.  I had 300 copies made the day after I received
the formal compenduim from VA Commonwealth Health Officials.  I took 200 to
HSUS and passed them all out.  I still have close to 75 compenduims here
wondering why no one wants one.

People tend to wait until the last minute for help.  Ferrets are dropped at
shelters because the owners have to change something quickly (moved, baby
born, relatives, etc.) and wait for the last minute to dispose of the pet
instead of taking time up front to find a home on their own for their pet.
People don't ask to have documents until there is a reason to fuss, and by
then it is usually too late.  Humans are procrastinators.  It only hurts the
ones you love.

Pam