From:
Alicia K Drakiotes / Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 19:39:21 -0400
this post is for Bryan and all the other newer FML family.

Disclaimer_
I am not a vet-- if you have a concern about your ferrets health please see
a veterinarian familiar with the treatments of domestic ferrets.  I am a
shelter Mom and have handled and treated several hundred ferrets-- the
information following is offered to inform and assist ferret owners in
making a determination as to whether their ferret has a probable health
concern.

Poops in ferrets are always an indicator--

1. an indicator of stress sometimes caused by change of - food, environment,
new addition to family, new home or apt., the list could go on forever (
well almost) stress indicators do not necessarily need treatment-- I would
suggest monitoring and if this changes back to normal within 24-36 hours
there is really not a problem.

However- prolonged stress can instigate an ulcer condition in ferrets - this
needs to be treated by a vet.

2. an indicator of illness - usually accompanied by lethargy, dull coat,
dull eyes, fever, vomiting, etc.  In these circumstances I would recommend
seeing a veterinarian to determine, virus, blockage etc.

The stools that you are concerned with Bryan - from your post can be a very
normal change from diet-- the intestinal tract must adjust to new
ingredients..  also, if there was a heavy play day with new toys that could
cause a touch of mucous in the stool.

DO NOT LET THE COLOR GREEN cause you to immediately be alerted to ECE!!!

Green mucous is also quite normal in the cleansing or shedding of the
intestinal wall.  This happens occasionally in each ferret and does not
signify any illness.  Monitor your ferrets and if they are eating normally,
playing normally and their stools are nearly normal -- then this is OK.

If they show other signs, vomiting, continued diarrhea, then by all means
get them to the vet.  All the while a reminder that if you suspect your
ferret is ill always keep them hydrated-- if they are not drinking freely on
their own then use a dropper to hydrate them..