From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 11:27:53 EDT
Al writes:
>Derek, our MF (?) male of about four, is going in for a spleen removal on
>Thursday, July 8th.

You mention that your vet is a well respected ferret vet in the area, so
I'm sure that he has already tried the 30 day regime of antibiotics, before
coming to the conclusion that the removal is necessary.  Not all vets are
aware the spleen enlargement is sometimes an indication of chronic
helicobacter infection, which may otherwise be asymptomatic.  The standard
treatment is 30 days on amoxicillin and Metronidazole.

Other causes of enlarged spleens include insulinoma, adrenal tumors,
cardiomyopathy; with the enlarged spleen as a secondary sign.  Usual
treatment in these cases is treatment of the primary problem.

Having said that, if the spleen itself is so enlarged to represent a danger
of rupture, removal is usually straight forward and the ferret usually
recovers quite well.  We've had several at the shelter whom have had their
spleens removed.  All were uncomplicated and the ferret was up and wanting
to play within a short time.

Dick B.  - not a vet
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter