Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 10:53:01 -0500
I use those pens to maximize my walk-out basement for the ferret's
area. We own about 9 of those pens and use them to divide rooms. One
pen stretched across our main room gives them 2 areas about 12 x 12 for
their own space. And I do the same with my other room for about 12 x 12
spaces. It gives them 4 large areas just in the basement. That way I
can have a cage in each area, but they are never locked in it. They get
to be out 24 hours a day. Plus I do a rotation every 4 hours so they
get to be upstairs with me a good?part of the day to 'help' me with my
daily chores.

Upstairs -- My kitchen, dining room, and family room take up one half
of our floor plan. I use a pen from wall to wall to block the family
room area from the kitchen/dining room. This makes 2 more places for
play areas.

It works perfect because I have 6 groups of ferrets and 6 play areas,
so everyone is out all the time. And with the rotation schedule,
everyone is happy.

I do have separate corners where I can add a pen for an emergency
pen in my dining room (and in the basement) for post-op ferrets or
sick ones that need constant care. Since that is my main work area
throughout the day. Plus, I sometimes get an emergency surrender that
needs their own space.

We buy those metal eye screw-in pieces of hardware. Very cheap at any
hardware store. We place them to match up with the little hooks on
the pen that would normally hook into the opposite side of the pen.
And then you can add or take away panels as needed. The other side of
the pen you can bend the metal to make use of the eye screw, too. The
beauty of using the eye screws is that you can lift up and swing open
that side for a 'gate'. But I'm usually too lazy and just step over
them.

The only drawback that I have had with using them is.... I have a
couple little agile girls that can leap to the top bar and shimmy their
way over the top. It isn't much of a problem because they don't usually
fight, they just like to socialize. So it's not an issue. I just know
that if 'Diabla' isn't in her 'room', she could be visiting most
anyone. And the search is on....

I have a few spare pens that get used for outside play, either on my
deck or in the yard. Or I'll pack a couple to go the local pet store
where I do educational classes for their employees where I bring some
ferrets for visual aides. Even use them for blocking my dogs from parts
of the house, on occasion. They are so versatile, don't know what I'd
do without them.

Liz
 ...in the Company of Ferrets, Inc. MN