From:
"Alice D. Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Dec 1997 17:10:24 -0800
A few days ago, when I was having trouble handling thoughts of the Spokane
tragedy, I heard the part of the Christmas story that mirrors the evil of
what happened to the ferrets and the intense grief so many of us are
feeling.  Evil and grief in the Christmas story!?  "When Herod realized that
he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to
kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and
under... weeping and great mourning..."

When I heard this part of the Christmas story again, I also heard that the
joyful part of Christmas depends on us and how we act and think.  (Guess
where I was.  Yes, in a pew.) Those of us on the FML won't forget about the
loss of those beautiful ferrets and others to animal cruelty and, together,
I believe we are dealing with it in a way that's beneficial to both animals
and humans.

Best wishes for the holidays,
Alice