Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 08:06:39 -0800
OK, I know this has been said before, but maybe there are newer people on
the list that havent heard it yet.  From being on FML people can get the
wrong impression about the numbers of ill ferrets.  We see what, maybe 10-20
posts a week about sick (seriously, as in disease) ferrets.  It seems like a
lot.  But, consider the fact that there are nearly 3,000 people on this
list, with a range from 1 to 60 or more ferrets each.  Say a low average of
4 ferrets per person and you have 12,000 ferrets more or less on this list.
So what we are actually talking about here is around .1 to .2 (1/10 to 2/10)
percent of the total that are seriously ill.  Thats really not that much.  I
bet if you got on a dog or cat mail list you would find comparitable
numbers.  My Mom belongs to a couple of Bird lists, and their numbers are
pretty close.  Of course the illnesses are different for each species of
pet, but all species seem to have a few specific common illnesses/ problems.
So, please don't think and pass along the idea that ferrets are "much more
prone to diseases/illness than other pets", I'm sure there are lots of
people out there who have healthy old ferrets that would agree with me on
this.

Amy, Katie & Worf
"Here's Dookin' at you Kit!"