From:
David Sparks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 21:18:19 -0600
More on responses to Rascal's problem with copper accumulation in his
liver:

Thanks, Susan, for your suggestion that we try giving Rascal some Elavil
for his hind leg problems.  We tried this with another ferret who had a
serious aggression problem so I know it does have veterinary uses, but it
probably would not be good for Rascal right now.  The most important thing
is to reduce his copper intake and get his liver to function better, so we
are using the least number of drugs possible.  We have been giving him a
mild dose of kava kava in his duck soup, which has a calming effect and may
help with any pain he has in his legs (I use kava kava myself for insomnia
and arthritis sometimes).  We'll keep Elavil in mind for any of our ferrets
who develop hind leg problems as they get older, though.  Like most other
animals, ferrets don't talk much about their pain (a wild animal that cries
in pain is likely to be found and eaten before it has time to heal), and
I am sure they feel anxiety as they lose the ability to move normally -
Elavil might make them more comfortable.  Rascal wasn't as playful today
but he really is much better than he was before his surgery.

Ferretguy Randy: Thanks so much for your email.  Our problem is not so much
the excess of copper in our water - it isn't enough to bother any other
ferrets or humans - but rather that we must eliminate as much copper as
possible from Rascal's diet.  Because of a genetic defect, he cannot
eliminate excess copper, so it has accumulated primarily in his liver,
resulting in serious liver disease., We have had many other ferrets, older,
very young, smaller in size and much more ill here, all drinking the same
water for over six years, but Rascal is the only one with Wilson's disease.
Our vet tells me that this disease also occurs in some long-haired cats
and certain breeds of dogs as well as in humans - the treatment is the same
for all species, to reduce copper intake and chelate with penicillamine.
We have priced out filter systems for tap water - distilled water costs
Can$1.49 for 4 liters at the drug store, compared to several hundred
dollars for a reliable filter system which would need new filters at least
once each year.  Rascal has insulinoma and may live another two years if we
are very lucky.  We need the money to pay his vet bills.  Maybe if we win a
lottery .....!

Dr Williams: If you wish to contact the lab that did Rascal's diagnosis,
please send us your email address as we now have the address and phone
number for Central Vet Labs in Calgary (thanks again to our good friend
Lynn).

We have put up a photo of Rascal and his sidekick Rosie at
     http://www.ecn.ab.ca/~djsparks/rascal.htm