From:
Phil Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 1993 14:48:36 -0500
Ferrets were originally domesticated and bred as hunters. They
have been used for hunting for generations.  Ferrets are excellent
hunters and are still widely used for that purpose ( Ferrets &
Ferreting, Iain Brodie, Blanford Press ). People who hunt with
ferrets treat them as sportsmen treat hunting dogs. They are kept in
a kennel outside and trained to hunt. I had a friend who lived on a
farm in Missouri and kept  ferrets to hunt mice, rats and gophers.
He was appalled when I told him my kids were allowed in the house
and actually slept in my bed. He had a breeding pair and kept a
litter of kits. They were taken out and put in the area of  gophers
and of course they went right down the hole. He would station his
dogs at the exits and when the gophers ran out the dogs would kill
them. He said the gophers were so terrified by the scent of the
ferrets and in such a hurry to get away  they would sometimes jump
a foot in the air when they came out of the hole. He also used them
in his barn to catch mice. When I asked him if he was afraid he
would lose them he said that is why they were kept in a kennel
outside. The door was left open and when they got tired and hungry
they would return to the place they knew they would get food.
Sometimes they stayed in the barn for days before returning to the
kennel. When a ferret kills it's prey it does it very quickly and
without warning. That is why we should be very cautious when
introducing our critters to strange or new pets such as hamsters,
mice, and small animals.
 As for insects, Snoozer, a 3 pound male will not harm an insect, he
will follow it and smell it but will not harm it. Snooker, a 1 1/2
pound female will instantly eat it all gone. I found a huge potato
bug going across my yard one day and I wondered how the kids
would react to it. I brought it into the house and turned it loose on
the floor. Snoozer got all excited and followed it all over the house,
that is until they came across Snooker, she grabbed it up and ate it.
I think Snoozer was more shocked than I was.
 As for fleas I need to say this one more time, almost all of the flea
killers I have found have Pyrethrin and Petroleum Distillates, not to
mention many more chemicals. According to the NIOSH Pocket
Guide To Chemical Hazards both of these chemicals affect the skin,
eyes, respiratory system and the central nervous system. I really
have to wonder if some of these methods we use to make our
critters more acceptable and comfortable are not in reality, killing
them. I have completely stopped using these on my kids and have
found alternative methods to treat them. I have found that any
soap will kill fleas if they are left in it for at least 3 minutes. Try this.
Place a drop of liquid soap in a cup and the rest water. Place a flea
in the water and he will sink right to the bottom and drown. When I
give my critters a bath I lather them up with baby shampoo and
make them soak for 5 minutes, watching the clock as it seems like
an hour with a protesting ferret in the sink. I am not a chemist but I
am Hazmat certified and I know that when we run across these
chemicals in the field, we suit up. I mentioned a few articles back
about using inorganic salt to treat the house.  I have not seen a flea
since the end of the fifth week.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

Phil Gentry
Snooker N' Snoozer