From:
Rebecca Coleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:52:01 +0100
Hello all,
I'm no expert by any means but I have a suggestion for Betty and Missy.  You
didn't mention anything in your post about trying bitter apple to discourage
biting.  I also forgot about that option and have had a lot of problems with
Monkey biting Jitterbug.  A couple of nights ago I put a little bitter apple
on Jitterbug's neck and that seemed to help (until Monkey decided to just
bite other places).  Lately I've been practically covering Jitterbug with
Bitter Apple before I go to bed and it seems to have helped a little bit.
The only problem is that Jitterbug also hates it.  And anytime she goes to
nibble on herself, she also gets a mouthful of the stuff.  But I figured I
had to try something and it does help a little.  Hope it works for you.

Harold, I also wanted to say something about Podo.  My older ferret,
Jitterbug, also doesn't like to be held or cuddled.  She's very nice and
will play all sorts of games, but struggles to get down almost immediately
after being picked up.  Again, I am no expert, but it seems to me that
ferrets have personalties just like people do.  Some are touchy feely and
some are not as affectionate.  My solution - ferret math.  I got a new kit,
Monkey, for two reasons: 1.  I wanted Jitterbug to have a friend to play
with and 2.  I also wanted to have a ferret that would cuddle.  Although
this has brought on a whole host of other issues and I strongly suggest you
spend a long time thinking about weather or not you have the time to devote
to another fuzzy, I have generally been very happy with my decision.  Since
I got Monkey when she was only 6 weeks old, I had the chance to train her
from the start (I'm not sure if you mentioned when you got Podo).  I picked
her up all the time (except when she's eating - she doesn't like that at
all!) and even slept with her.  Now she's used to sleeping on my lap and
being picked up and tolerates cuddling MUCH better than Jitterbug.  One
other interesting side effect has been that Jitterbug now seems to be much
more affectionate too!  I think out of jealousy.  Anytime Monkey is curled
up on my lap, Jitterbug comes over to see what's going on.  She still
doesn't like to be picked up and held very often, but she definitely
tolerates it much better than she used to.

     Dooks to all,

     Rebecca
     Jitterbug and
     Monkey