From:
April Vannatta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:25:18 -0500
I have always felt, and WILL always feel, that we need good breeders
as well as good shelters.

We need shelters to save the abandoned, neglected, broken, and lost. We
will ALWAYS need shelters, and because some people do not understand
responsibility shelters will always be full with waiting list. You
cannot do better than to adopt from or support a good shelter.

At the same time, we will always need GOOD breeders to breed for
health, temperament, longevity, etc. If the good breeders stopped
breeding, in a few years there would be NO ferrets out there except the
mill ferrets bred by Marshall's and the byb ferrets bred by those who
still breed for money and not the love or the good of ferrets. We need
SOMEONE out there who is breeding in a manner that improves ferrets,
not in a manner that makes every generation sicker and shorter lived
than the one before.

I always want to have the CHOICE to purchase from a breeder if I ever
want to. If I ever get so down and broken over my sickly inbred mill
babies (which do not be mistaken I LOVE dearly and would not trade for
all the breeder ferrets in the world) that all I want is a kit or two
from somewhere where they were planned for months before they were even
conceived, and loved and socialized and given ample room and time to
play from a very early age...then I want to have that choice available
to me.

On the other hand, I would completely agree with getting rid of
Marshall Farms and Path Valley Farm and all the other mills. So if
that's all you were talking about, excuse me my rant please. ;)