Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 09:53:00 -0400
From:    Kim Lester <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: Ferret related children's books

I have authored a children's book about a boy adopting a ferret, it getting
lost, and the steps he took to find it.  It is called "The Fairfax Ferret"
and the ISBN# is 0-8062-5369-X.

>From:    "M. Taylor" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: To de or not to de? That is the question

Descenting... I have had many ferrets 7 years and older - some were
descented and some were not.  My nose can't tell the difference just by
sniffing their coats.  I have had to have two ferrets anal sacks unimpacted
in their lives, but I never considered it a problem.  my opinion - if the
ferret isn't accidentally spraying or has an "expression" problem, don't
bother with the cost of descenting.

>From:    "C. MOSCH" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Recurrent ECE?

Are you sure this is not coccidia or another bacterial infection - ECE
carriers usually do not "break" with the virus, especially at the same time
as other ferrets in the house.  And it certainly does not come back stronger
the second time around.

Have you tested for coccidia - only a sulfur drug will kill this stuff
(Albon).

>From:    Rick Haigis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferrets seeing color

Ferrets seem to respond to RED.

***
Bones - this one is for BOB!

>I suggest all bone should be fresh and cooked; not that it softens it much,
>but because cooking kills the germs that can make the bone turn rancid.

Okay, but NEVER FEED FERRETS BONES THAT HAVE BEEN PREVIOUSLY FROZEN!!!!!
Bones that have been frozen do turn brittle, splinter, and cause problems.
They even turn dark.  The best bones to offer ferrets are the spinal disks.

>It looks  like some funny dance or something.

THIS IS THE WEASEL WAR DANCE OR THE DANCE OF JOY.

>From:    "Charles J. Steel" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: cracked fingernails

If you trim the toenails every two weeks at a minimum, you will not have a
problem with split nails catching threads.

>From:    David Krozier <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: A couple of fuzzy questions
>Question 1. What is the difference between Canine and Feline Distemper???

Dogs and ferrets get canine distemper, Cats get feline distemper.

>Question 2. Can you add meat to your fuzzies diet???

Yes - preferably cooked.

>Question 3. Is it a good idea to get them licensed even though the state
>you live in doesn't require it (in case they manage to get out)???

No - what you can do is register the ferret with your club or vet as proof
of ownership, or read on Number 4's answer...

>Question 4. Has anyone heard of the newest way of identifying your lost
>ferret with microchips that get inserted under an arm??

Microchips are inserted in the scruff of the ferret's neck and are very safe
there.  This is the traditional place for scanners to read.  I've had
several ferrets in my shelter microchipped with no adverse results, and they
will be reported as found to the shelter or the owner if they transfer the
registration.

>Question 5.  I gave Pepe' a bath and afterwards he ran in circles and all
>over like something was biting him.  I've given him baths before and he
>never did this before...

New shampoo?  Heat turned on now?  Any number of things.....

Pam Grant