From:
Connie Gaddy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:28:13 GMT
>I had to laugh when I read that it was flavored to appeal to ferrets and
>had a 75% acceptance rate on the first day of being introduced.  When I
>put this food in Nexus' dish, he picked it out and set it on the floor
>and ate his Totally Ferret.  He hates this food and I don't blame him.
>It smells horrible....

I'm the person that donated the bag for the auction.  I'm sorry your
ferret didn't like the food, but as the manufacturer says, 75%
acceptance, not 100%.  My 8 kids took to it right away, and within 3
weeks of introducing it to their mix, it now makes up 75% my food mix,
and they are thriving on it.  So for me, I had 100% acceptance.  But as
with any food change, it has to be done slowly and gradually added to
the mix they are currently eating.  I also mix all of my foods and store
it in an air tight container so all the food ends up smelling the same.
This might be something you should try.

I personally didn't notice a horrible smell.  To me it has a bit of
a fruity aroma.  Perhaps the batch you have is from one of the early
production runs.  When it was first introduced, many customers complained
about the smell and the manufacturer changed the formula a bit.  I
wouldn't give up trying to get Nexus to eat it.  I think in the long
run it will be worth it.

Connie
To order Natural Gold Ferret Food, visit
http://www.fuzies.com/natural_gold_ferret_food1.htm