From:
Terri Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 00:16:52 PDT
I've just been acquired by a young ferret.  She's a 7.5 weeks old cinnamon
female, DOB 7-21-95.  (This seems very young to me.) She's my first ferret,
so I've been trying to read everything I can get my hands on.  I've already
read most of the Ferret FAQ (not quite through the medical sections yet) and
thus found out about this list.  I have a couple of questions that I don't
_think_ were answered by the FAQ.  Please forgive if I missed something.
Please reply directly since these are newbie things and probably everyone
knows them but me.
Thanks!

Quick blurb about her.  She's *wonderful*.  (OK, so you probably already
knew that.) She seems quite healthy - nice coat, bright eyes, clean ears
and nose.  She's basically pretty sweet.  An occasional nibble when she's
being held, a very occasional nip when she wants to go exploring but is
being held (yes, I'm working on gently discouraging these) & some nipping
when we play with her in a sort of scaled-down to baby ferret level "rough
housing".  (This means we let her chase our hands and pounce at them, etc.)
When she's awake she plays and when she's asleep *nothing* wakes her, short
of being picked up.  Not even my dog suddenly barking at the neighbors.
Wow.  I certainly can't sleep through that.

Questions:

She's already spayed and descented.  I got the impression that this was
pretty young for her to already be altered.  Are there any complications
I should look out for?

I want her to bond to me.  I've read that giving her Ferratone sometimes
when I take her out of her cage will teach her to look forward to getting
out and interacting with me.  Unfortunately, when I put some on my fingers,
she didn't seem to notice.  I put I tiny drop on her nose/lips and still
nothing.  Can ferrets not like Ferratone?  Is it because this is her first
day home and she's just too preoccupied with new surroundings?

When's the next gathering of ferret lovers somewhere near my area?
(Seattle, WA.) I'd really love to meet some other ferret people and
ferrets.  How old should she be before I can take her out to other
places and meet other people/ferrets?  (I ask b/c I know with dogs
it's a concern that you not chance exposing young puppies to diseases
until they've completed their initial shots.) I'm willing to drive a
little ways and even if she's too young to come to the next gathering,
I'd still like to.

She had her first set of shots on 9-1-95.  We're going in for our
first vet visit together on Thursday.  Are there any particular
questions that I should ask my vet?  (This is the same vet I use for
my dog - I don't know how experienced they are with ferrets.)

She does not have a name yet.  I am still thinking about it, but if
anyone is inclined to send along some suggestions, that'd be great too.

Other advice for first time ferret owners, that is not covered in the
FAQ, is greatly welcomed.

Thanks much!
.Terri
???, a sprite cinnamon ferret (7.5 weeks old)
& Tika, a female (black) Belgian Sheepdog (3 years old)
---
http://snapple.cs.washington.edu/elf/tw.html