From:
Matthew Ardill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:52:13 -0400
hi there!
i've been reading about the dangers of pine shavings to ferrets in the "bad
pet stores" thread, and i'd just like to make a brief defense.

i work at pj's pet centre (yorkdale) in toronto and i must confess that we
use pine shavings as bedding for our ferrets- but please don't kill us!  you
see, we do not have a washer or dryer at our disposal and therefore cannot
give any type of blanket or aything to cover the floors of our cages.  we
tried using 'yesterdays news' but our ferrets experienced severe foot fungus
as a result, the corn cob bedding gives them breathing problems because of
its drying effect, and simply leaving the floors bare provided no cuishoning
for soft little paws (and in the glass floored aquarium was very scary for
the babies.)

what would you suggest we do?  if anyone can offer us a decent solution to
this problem i'd dearly love to hear it, as we're completely out of ideas.
siani (who doesn't like to think of her little guys getting sick.)

Matthew Ardill
"El Carnicero de Canciones"