Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 11:33:10 EDT
Hello everyone,

Please take a moment to write a short letter (please do not send an e-mail,
that may be easier for you but hurts not helps) to Assemblymember Dean
Florez, urging him to vote in favor of SB 1093.  If you saw the CA
Waterfowl letter of opposition, you might take a moment to politely refute
some of their arguments.  If you didn't see the letter, simply ask him to
let CA take this tiny step towards joining the rest of the continent in
it's treatment of people who own domesticated ferrets.

Do not insult CA Waterfowl regardless of your anger at them.
Assemblymember Florez may be a member for all we know, or other members
of that committee may be members as well.  Just calmly point out the errors
in their letter and refute it with facts not rhetoric.  That kind of letter
makes an impact.  Rude or aggressive letters do not and only hurt our
cause.

The other way to deal with the CA Waterfowl folks is to redouble your
efforts to collect signatures.  Some folks have sent only a page or half
a page.  T HAT WON'T DO IT!  We need all of you to collect at least 100
signatures and I know that you can do it if you just take the time.  Don't
let our best chance in years go by without giving all you've got to help
persuade Governor Davis to not veto this bill!  Don't assume others are
doing your work for you-- that assumption is wrong and will kill our bill!

To get a copy of our petition, visit www.ferretnews.org and download the
pdf file.  Print as many copies as you can and get them filled out!  Send
them back to me by August first.  (We may have a little more time but I
don't know that yet.)

[P.S. ooops!]

Hello everyone,

On my last e-mail [above] I forgot to include Assemblymember Florez's
address.  It is as follows:

Assemblymember Dean Florez
Chair, Assembly Water Parks and Wildlife Committee
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814

It has also come to my attention that a few folks thought it might be a
good idea to write to CA Waterfowl.  Believe me, it's not!  This kind of
commentary rarely does any good no matter how well the arguments are
written and certainly serves no purpose since none of these folks will vote
on our issue, that's why I asked you to write to your Assemblymembers!  And
rather than helping, since it won't change any minds at CA Waterfowl, it's
often perceived as an attack by members making the chance of a negative
backlash more likely than anything positive.

Jeanne

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
410 Mountain Home Rd.