From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 29 May 1993 04:33:20 -0400
> From:   Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Ivermectin and ear mites
>
> Several issues back, a few people mentioned that although Ivermectin can be
> used as an ear-mite medication in ferrets, few vets recommended such usage.

The way my vet described the situation to me is that it is basically
overkill.  The drug is toxic, and it doesn't do any better job than
other ear-mite medications.  So why use a toxic drug when you can
just, basically, drown the suckers just as effectively?

I don't remember his whole argument, but he convinced me at the time.

Since it doesn't kill the eggs you have to use several doses.
So it's not even a one-shot vs. a month of drops deal.  Also,
you generally don't need to pay for an office visit to get e
ar-mite drops, just stop in and ask for them.  Ivermectine
shots could get expensive.  I really don't see much need for them
unless for some reason you're schedule is constrained so much
you can't give drops every other day for a month.

This isn't an issue that I've heard a lot of strong feelings
about, this is just my personal opinion.

> From:   [log in to unmask] (C-Shell Super User)
> Subject: Mystery Virus Mystery?
>
> What ever became of the Mystery Virus.  I assume that either one of two thing

Georgia Bailey was monitoring it pretty closely, and said that
she would be happy to discuss it with people.  Give her a call
at 804-887-5688.  I believe it's under control, but I haven't
heard anything for certain.  Let's not flood her with phone calls,
John, if you could please post your findings we would appreciate
it.  I am only posting her number publicly because 1. she offerred
and 2. if anyone has any problems, they really don't have time
to ask through the list.

You could also call Freddie Hoffman, head of AFA's Health Affairs
committee, 301-983-3187.

Sorry I didn't catch either of your other posts.  School just ended
for me, and I was pretty stressed for the last month.  I got
pretty behind on my correspondence.  (I never just "blow people
off", even if I'm really angry at you, so if I owe anyone a letter,
PLEASE send me a reminder!)

That reminds me, C.L., no I'm not mad at you and I never was.  Friends are
bound to disagree sometimes...  :)

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                                   CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                                U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
          Owner of Percy, Bree, & Popcorn, the ferrets