From:
Debra Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:12:09 -0500
Good Morning Everyone,
Thank you to all that have helped me with so many wonderful suggestions.
Not quite such a newbie ferret mommie anymore.  What you guys have not
told me the furry fuzzies have sure tried to show me.  When we are open
to these little ones they can sure teach us alot.

I know there has been some talk about darkness being a necessity for the
health of ferrets especially to help guard against adrenal.  Our guys are
only 4 1/2 & 5mo right now but we have been learning and trying new things
as many of you suggested.  My mom brought me a huge piece of fleece that
I had cut down for my dad to wear around him when he was sitting on his
chair last winter and now that he has passed he no longer needs it.  Well
since it was his "from the other side nudging" to get our new fuzzies we
thought we should put it over their cage for darkness.  We have a 3 tier
cage so it totally covered the top section and half of the 2nd section.
They were curious and were inside checking it all out.  Last night Michael
the oldest was settled in the top but Gabriel was still on his favorite
2nd level.  This morning my husband said that they were both in the top
when he went in the room and did not even rustle till he got the litter
pan out to change it.  Within minutes they were up and out dooking around
the room.  My husband even woke me up to come see them.  Now here is the
exciting part.  My guys are really active.  Gabriel is slow to wake up and
has his little routine and takes a bit more time than his brother Michael.
Well this morning this was the most active I have seen them that quick.  I
do believe that the full darkness helped their little bodies to get better
rest.  They have their own bedroom.  Yes we gave up a whole room for them
so they are free roam and only go in the cage to eat and use the litter
box(we also have a litter box in the room) and go to sleep.  They get full
morning to afternoon light and only moonlight in the evening but I still
feel that covering the cage allowed them to feel more safe during the
night.  We have now pinched shut the fleece to cover the 2nd level.  The
lower level has slight coverage on the sides.  The cage is also up on a
2ft stand for ease of getting to the bottom with a ramp for them to come
and go as they please.

Whoever posted the note about covering the cage gets a big thank you for
me.  We had discussed this when I read it but my husband was hesitant
until the fleece appeared and I just went in and did it.  Thank you Thank
you.....

Love & blessings
Debbie & her crew of 15 now(13 kitties)....and hopefully another fuzzy
in spring...:-)