From:
Ann Haager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:12:18 -0500
I have always used the "butt first" method with my ferrets around
kids...and sometimes even around adults that aren't sure about the
ferrets. One little girl really stands out from the rest. A few years
ago we held ferret awareness days at our local Petco every other month
and this little girl walks up and is just in love! She's not rude, she
didn't rush up to the the playpen and try to lean over it, she came
within a few feet and just watched. I pulled out our Vash and offered
her his butt to pet. After a few minutes of watching how gentle she
was, I let her hold him. She had to hold him with both hands and the
only time my hands were further than 6 inches away was to take this
picture.

http://gallery.haager.net/v/aahaager/ferrets/IMG_0769.JPG.html

It was the best child/ferret experience I've had and it was awesome! I
don't find myself near too many children anymore unless family comes to
visit, but I have found that I'm not comfortable with my family holding
our ferrets...so I don't do it anymore.

I, personally, have lost 2 ferrets to something that ruptured. One was
right after a bath, so that could have caused it or might not have
caused it. The other was after playtime...so even another ferret can
cause things to happen. The first one died in my arms on the way to the
emergency vet. The second died on the operating table. We never knew
anything was wrong with either of them until their last moments. Things
can surprise you, you can't always be prepared for everything...it's
just human...just life...and death.

I have learned from my past situations and Sandi's most recent one. I
also know that we, as mere humans, cannot prevent all accidents from
happening.

Dooks & Dances
Ann (proud ferret parent since February 2001)