From:
Donna - Educated Ferret Assoc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 23:12:38 EDT
Hello all you wonderful humans.  Back again to share how I educated my
human.

When I first came, Da Ma Ma carried me around in a warm, soft den she
carried around her neck.  I was with her all day and night.  Of course the
first week I just slept and did not share anything with her other than her
warm body.  As I started to feel better I wanted to get down and see all
the new world.  I knew she cared for me but I had no way to let her know
what I wanted.  I was real scared and when I would shake she would cuddle
me in her hands and put the back of my neck to her neck and I could feel
the gentle movements as she spoke to me.  I could not hear her but could
feel her thoughts so I decided to snuggle and kiss her when she did this
to let her know I loved her too.  When she wanted a kiss she would put
her toes all together to a point and move them up and down.  I taught her
"Kiss Kiss" first.  When I had to go the the corner I wiggled my butt and
she would place me in the poop corner.  I tried to bit her once and she
put her large toe straight up in the air and placed me to her neck and
said "NO bite".  Boy was that strong movement in her neck.  When I got
strong enough to play I did it again and she said "No Bite" then scruffed
me by the neck and pressed gently on my mouth while the back of my neck
was on her neck.You see my mouth is what bit her so she let me know that
by pressing gently on it.  She opened her paw and struck her toes wide
open then put up her large toe and did it again.  Wow she was stiff, but
I knew she still loved me and I was not suppose to bite.  This is how I
started to teach my human what paw language was,.  She called it sign
language, but it is not the same as human sign language.  As I was feeling
better I decided to dig in my water.  Oh boy, up went the large toe for
"No" then she cupped her toes with the paw tips down and moved them.  No
Digga sign was created.  If she wanted me to come she would stomp on the
floor to get my attention and then give me the cupped toes up and wave
them at me.  This was come.  I knew I would get a treat for this.

I tried to get out the door once and up went the finger, then all the toes
went straight up then pushed her paw straight out.  This ment "No Go."
There were times when I did not want listen so I just flat ferret and be
cute.  If she ignored me I would spin across the floor sideways.  So she
learned to flip her paw with toes open and I would spin for her.  The last
one was my gift to myself.  If she gave me the spin sign I will roll on
my back and be cute then she give me a ball and Deaf ferrrets are dum,
hah!  no way I can twirl the ball on my belly.  Lets see a hearing ferret
can teach a human all these tricks.  Da Ma Ma says to keep it short so I
have to go to my den.  We have free time all day in the main house so
very tired from too much playing anyway.  Oh how I love to dance on the
big human hammoch when the humans are sleeping.  HEHEHEHE

Dookadooks till the next time. Love Callie

Lesson 2.  Why I have a question mark on my head, and other deaf ferret
head questions.