From:
Julie Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:26:24 -0700
There has been a lot of discussion recently about donations to shelters.
A lot of questions about where the money is really going.

Personallly, I DON'T CARE.

I donate cash and services for my local shelter.  I provide hands-on help
when I can.  I donate to other shelters and individuals by contributing
raffle items, purchasing raffle tickets, and bidding on Ebay auctions.

I always get something back for my trouble...a sense of satisfaction, and
the feeling that I have done something good.  That's enough for me.  I do
not know of a single shelter out there which operates in the black- many
seem to be paying most expenses out-of-pocket, especially the smaller
shelters.  Most ops I know personally see their own paychecks just long
enough to hand them over to their vet.

So when my hubby sneaks a $20 into the donation jar, I DON'T CARE how
the money is spent.  If it feeds the shelter mom, she is keeping up her
strength to care for the ferrets in her charge.  If it goes into the gas
tank, well, she has to drive ferts to the vet every week.

I know one shelter mom who went to work everyday in ragged slacks, and
socks with holes- because she spent all her own money on the ferrets.
Once I handed over $5 with express orders that the money be spent on
beer.  For her sake, and the animal's sake, that woman needed a BREAK!!!

As far as I'm concerned, as long as the shelter/individual is legit, the
only question should be: Will the donation eventually help a ferret in
some way?

A special THANK YOU to all the hardworking shelter moms, dads, and
volunteers.  The work you do is PRICELESS.  We thank you, and the ferrets
thank you.

Julie & the Woozles
21st Century Ferret
http://geocities.com/woozle31