From:
Kelleen Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 06:02:53 -0800
First of all I am no expert at ferret care and training but have had
experience with having had 11 ferrets total.  I have learned a great deal of
what I know and do from the wonderful people on the FML.  This is just
advice and suggestions so take it as that please.

I do know the problems had with a biting and or attacking ferret from
personal experience.  It is NOT their fault that they have had no training
and proper discipline before coming to you.  They need LOTS of time and
unwavering, consistent training and discipline.  If after you try every
idea presented to you by me and others and they don't work for you then
give them to a good home with experienced ferret owners letting them know
how they are so they are prepared to deal with it.  Or you can find a good
ferret shelter, club, rescue in your area and give the ferret to them to
place or if they have too they will personally keep most ferrets the rest
of their lives.

Has the ferret had previous owners (if it was abused before coming to you
this would definitely account for the actions now)...?  If you say that
everytime the ferret is near your hands it bites bad then it does sound as
if it has been abused so much that it is now deathly afraid of the weapons
used against him/her, mainly human hands.  Try to think as the ferret would
under the circumstances.  Often not being handled a lot and spending a long
time in a pet store before purchase can also cause these actions.  Possibly
teasing by children took place too.

I adopted a tiny 3 yr. old female a couple mos. ago and found later (when
her owner finally told me the truth) that she would always bite any visitors
to her home but suppossedly she never bit her.  I couldn't believe after
raising her from a kit and having her for 3 years she could just get rid of
her like that.  When I got her home she viciously attacked my other 8
ferrets mercilessly.  I came to the conclusion I would have to return her.
Another couple and their sons had her for a week before I got her and she
bit the kids so they returned her too.  I called and spoke to her and got a
really strong gut feeling if she could not place her real soon she would
kill her.  I hung up, thought about it a very short while and then called to
tell her I was keeping her no matter what, I had changed my mind.  I found
out from those people that had my sweet Pearl for a week that the owner had
told them outright she was going to do just that.  I felt sick.  Afterwards
I felt wonderful knowing I had definitely saved my Pearl's life.

I guess now would be the time to tell you all I did to retrain Pearl into
the wonderful, sweet, tiny girl that she is today.  Mind you once in awhile
she will still attack the other ferrets but it is a uncommon experience now
(usually when there is a lot of excitement).  She has never bitten me but
she has bitten my Mom and my friend David (he also wrote to you and let me
know of your predicament).  She no longer bites people either.  I have also
raised 4 kits 2 of which were biters at first so I know from what I speak:-)

First of all since the ferret is so agressive right now, whenever you
handle him/her I suggest wearing thick leather gloves to protect yourself.

Whenever you approach him/her whether in or out of the cage speak to him/her
in soft and reassuring tones.  Let him/her know you are coming since most
ferrets do not have great eyesight.  Otherwise you will be scaring him/her
everytime you get near and then the agression will be worse.

If you are going to try to hold him/her for a bit (I think you should try to
do that often for very short amounts of time) have a treat he/she really
likes right there with you to give.  That will reinforce that being held is
a good thing and hands can be your friends.  Ferretone is a great thing to
give and you can put some in a very small dispenser bottle and feed her from
it with one hand while holding him/her with the other.  Very few ferrets do
not like Ferretone plus it is good for them in small amounts.  Keep talking
to him/her softly during these times.

When he/she does bite too hard then the best solution I have ever found is
to take a q-tip and soak it in bitter apple.  Don't leave it sopping wet but
shake it out some.  When he/she bites scruff him/her by the back of the neck
and force the q-tip into his/her mouth just barely touching the tongue with
it.  God do they hate the taste of that stuff but spraying on areas just
doesn't work.  By getting it full strength in the mouth they really get the
message and pretty quickly as well.  I had to do this with both the kits and
Pearl too.  IT REALLY WORKS!

After the q-tip scruff at the back of the neck with your mouth.  Yes I did
say your mouth:-) This is exactly what a Mommy ferret would do and they are
well aware of what it means.  While the neck is in your mouth hold one hand
under to support him/her and shake him/her a little from side to side to
make the message even stronger but not so hard it hurts.  Then let go and
hold him/her close to your face (not so close that you'll get bit) and say
very loudly "NO" & "BAD FERRET" etc....

After the mouth scruffing put the ferret in the cage alone for a time-out of
at least 1/2 an hour.  I cover the cage with a blanket so he/she is totally
isolated from all the fun and exciting things out there.

It seems like alot of work but once you get the hang of the routine it takes
only a few minutes to do.  When he/she is good and plays or is held with no
biting give much praise and some more Ferretone.  I did this with Pearl for
over a month and it has worked out beautifully.  It makes my stomach hurt
just thinking that if I had not taken this little darling when I did she
would be dead right now.  3 was just too young to die and there was no
reason for her to die in the 1st place.  I understand how upsetting it is to
you and at times it feels really hopeless but there is a light at the end of
the tunnel.  Your ferret may learn faster than 1 month or may take longer
than that but please give him/her the time and a chance to enjoy your
company.  Pearl just in the last week played with me for the 1st time and
did her little dance, she's even come clear up on the couch just to say hi.
This is a totally different baby than the one I brought home at 1st.  I love
her so much now.  I know of a lot of people that have had ferrets with this
problem but almost all of them were able to bring the ferret around with
some hard work and lots of love.  You can do it too.  I KNOW YOU CAN!
Remember to be consistent & unwavering in this routine.  All people in the
household must do these things so he/she gets the same message and
discipline every time he/she does wrong.  The ferret may well grow out of it
some but he/she also may not.  The best thing for you and him/her is to
start teaching the correct way to act right now.  It is easier on all of you
to do this.  If he/she slips up once in awhile after you get him/her trained
just do the same thing over again only this time it will take only a very
short time to get the message once again.  Remember above all else to never
hit or even nose tap your ferret as discipline.  It will reinforce the bad
behavior, make him/her very afraid of you and could cause injury.

         Kelleen & The INSANE Animal House