From:
Meagan Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:18:07 -0500
Hello everyone

I am writing to see if anyone can help.

There are two ferrets on Long Island that from what I am told, are being
neglected.  No, they are not mine and I know little of the situation, but
this is what I do know...

There are two ferrets, females I think.  One silver, one sable that are
caged almost 100% of the time.  They are in a cage with at least 2 levels
and the bottom floor is covered with cedar shavings and they use that
bottom floor as a littler box.  The hammocks are filthy and worn through.

The roommate of the ferret owners said that she has asthma and can barely
breathe because of the smell.  Apparently they owner "doesn't have time"
for them.  They have long nails and are dirty.  They currently are eating
deli cat.  I heard that they tried to swtich them but the ferrets aren't
eating anything else.  The roommate said the only time they are really
cared for is when she does it but she doesn't really know what to do, she
just feels bad for them.

I don't know much else although from what my friend (fellow ferret owner)
was told, the one ferret may have adrenal because the roommate said she
had lost all her hair and then it grew bakc again.  One of the ferrets is
pudgy, the other is "normal".

From what we were told, the owners would like to find them a home where
they have more time for them (anything has got to be better than this!).

They have already been in at least one home before this one and I would
like to avoid a shelter situation if possible--but I think the main goal
would be to get them out of the house!!

If I could, I would take them myself but circumstances don't permit that
right now--if anyone is interested, please contact me (meagan at the
above email address) or my friend (Marissa) at [log in to unmask]

If anyone else has advice, please let me know.  I am about 2 hours away
from these people but will help with anything I can.

Thanks,
meagan