Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 22:20:28 -0500
*the short of it: if you have ever written, or know of any good formal
advocacy for ferrets, please consider sending me a copy.  ;)*

the long of it:

Hello,
my name is tatiana.  i have written a few times before, but am relatively
new to the list.  i am currently enrolled in a pet assisted therapy program
at my college, and was not all that suprised to find out that ferrets were
not approved pet assisted therapy animals.  this was because of the belief
that they are wild, unruly, and untrainable animals.  some animals that are
approved include: ducks, horses, rabbits, cows, moose, goats, etc. not
every ferret is a pat ferret just as not every dog or cat is PAT quality.
but i don't think you can say that moose are, on the whole, better behaved
then ferrets. ;)  my immediate thought was, "i must launch my crusade!" not
only that, but i would like to use one of my ferrets as a PAT animal.

my instructor has told me she would let me do an internship if i could come
up with some documentation that they are domesticated creatures.  she said
that anything written my members of animal welfare societies, vets,
therapists, and other people with impressive sounding credentials would be
acceptable, but that i will need a lot of data and opinions.  basically it
is because she will be going against the rule that plainly says that
ferrets aren't allowed.  if you have written anything in favor of ferrets
as pets, or in any areas, for rabies quarantine, whatever, please consider
forwarding me a copy.  even if it is only a letter to the editor that you
never sent.  i will not take credit for anything you have written.  the
whole point is that it is not my opinion. ;)  if you have written in
opposition, that is fine as well.  i'll be gathering information on that
side of the fence too.

anyway, i really would appreciate any articles or pointers.  please respond
via email if at all possible.  thanks for your time and if you have any
questions feel free to ask.

peas,
tatiana