From:
Caitlyn Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 17:08:19 -0500
Hi, Ande,

>You have two ferrets.

Actually, I have 10.

>They share a cage, hammocks, food, water, sleep-time, playtime, etc.

Yep.

> ONE of them has to be on a special diet.

That would be Pertwee.  He's getting viokase (a pancreatic enzyme) which
basically partially predigests his food.  Our vet thinks his mystery
ailment might be chronic pancreatitis, and since nobody does a TLI on a
ferret we're treating as if it is.  Obviously, we don't want to give
that to the six healthy ferrets or the three with different medical
problems.

>The other should not,

Exactly our problem.

>How does one introduce, convince to eat, and maintain a special diet
>for one (reluctant) cagemate without compromising the diet of the
>other - and still keep them in the same cage together?
>
>If you can solve this, you're good.

Why, thank you!  We offer Pertwee gravy outside of the cage three or four
times a day.  At first he didn't like it with viokase (smells different,
tastes different, watery) so I had to hand feed him.  It took a few days,
but he now likes his special gravy.  By keeping him full of his new food
he's less interested in the old.  He *is* allowed regular kibble, but if
he has pancreatitis he can't really digest it.  So... we need to maximize
the special food and minimize everything else.

This isn't a perfect solution, but it has our vet's approval.

Can you hand feed your sick one and get the idea that this is some kind
of special treat through the little weasel's mind?  I think the extra
attention convinced Pertwee.

Good luck!

All the best,
Caity and the terrific 10