From:
Roger Poore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 11:39:16 EST
>I am not getting the music anymore...and getting a messege that I need the
>plug in called "text/plain" but netscape says it knows of no suck plugin???

Oh, I know what you are talking about.

Well, it's a long story but I'll chop it up.  A few weeks ago, the Ferret
World server was invaded by a hacker.  I have an IRCII client compiled on
the server which I set up so that the students here at the college could use
to chat.  I had disabled all the student accounts on there but a couple of
weeks ago, I noticed a strange login name in syslog.  I didn't think too
much of it, so I let it be.  Then I received email from some other network
administrators that have been tracking this guy.  It seems that my hacker
was using the Ferret World server to run his IRC bot.

He didn't do any damage but I went ahead and upgraded the server to Linux
2.0.0 (which I'd been meaning to do for a long time).  I've also upgraded
web servers from Apache 1.0 to 1.1.  I've put most of Ferret World back up,
however, (truthfully) I can't remember how I did some things so it's taking
me awhile to figure things out.

I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing.  Please bear (or
bare--which one?) with Rocky and myself.  It should be FULLY functional
again by this weekend.

Roger Poore

Ferret World, The Coolest Place on Earth!
  http://ferret-world.clayton.edu

The Legend of Rainbow Bridge (dealing with pet loss)
  http://ferret-world.clayton.edu/Rainbow_Bridge