Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:31:45 -0000
I read the post on the web site that was mentioned a long time ago -- the
deal with most of the mink that these people have at friendly ferrets are
that they are ranch mink that have nowhere to go.  Many colors of mink are
becoming exctinct (I am not sure that is the absolute proper term) because
of the lack of demand in the fur trade; the people at friendly ferrets
take the mink and care for them.  They are not wild, having been bred in
captivity.  I don't see the big deal in keeping them as "pets" because
what's the alternative for a ranch-rasied mink?  They certainly cannot
survive in the wild, however unsuitable they might be as pets.

Ed is a totally different story, but I can't see the problem with keeping
even a wild mink that would otherwise be destroyed.  It could be used as an
educational animal, and I'm sure it's happier being with Ed than being
dead.  He does seem to take great care of the children in his charge.

I'd buy a pet over the web if I thought the breeder was reputable, and
friendly ferrets is a reputable ferret breeder, and about the only source
of mink that I know of.  Maybe if more people kept them as pets, less would
wear them as coats.

Melissa
Mishka and Buttons (with, Tasha, Nookie, and Bailey waiting at the Bridge)