From:
kaye pullen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 23:56:49 -0600
** High Priority **

Rescue ferrets sometimes require special people to love them.  The
volunteers who take these into their homes to live and to love are those
special people.  Not everyone has the patience, endurance and forgiveness to
see it through.  It's not a job for everyone; God gave each of us different
talents.  But for those with this talent, God has given them what they need
to reach them.

I just wanted to send a note to all about the Fredonia rescued ferrets.  My
title line pretty well sums it up.  Feeble - many had medical problems; some
were life-threatening.  They were fearless, vicious biters according to
their previous owner.  Fearless yes, but only because of fear of humans.
But you know what?  Of the 13 that I took home with me to take care of and
then transport to their new homes - I was only bitten twice.  They reacted
positively to positive touching, handling and talking.  They all reminded me
of the cat in the cartoons that was scared to death - all stiff and all four
paws sticking straight out and rigid - complete with the poofed tail when I
first picked them up.  But after a few handlings, the rigid stiffness
subsided.

I was careful not to startle them.  Where most ferrets don't startle easily,
because their lifestyles didn't make them fearful, these ferrets were
petrified of the human interaction.  They would lunge at you, mouths open
for the bite if you got close enough.  It was a real scare tactic.  But they
couldn't keep up the threat with me; I was determined!  It appeared the more
timid the ferret, the more they would shake and were more prone to bite.
The worst of the ferrets was the aggressive one - the one who was as
determined as me.  I still have her - she is scheduled to be transported to
Nevada as soon as we complete the Tulsa to Albuquerque leg.

But guess what!  She has been playing with 10 of my ferts for the last 2
hours... playing, dancing, dooking, and a few hisses as well.  She sorta bit
me when I picked her up, but when I told her "NO!", she let go!  I have
since been telling her "NO!" - for trying to eat my shoes with my toes still
inside; for trying to bully Chance (my adrenal rescue still in recovery);
for bullying a couple of the female kits.  Believe it or not - she responded
correctly to that command.  And she really surprised me just a few minutes
ago... she actually used the litter box in the corner of my bedroom - instead
of the floor!!!!!

There's a really big heart hiding deep inside all rescue ferrets.  Special
human hearts can find it - and the rewards are endless.

My reward from this effort is going to last me a lifetime.  I  thank God I
was able to be a part of it.  I mostly thank Him for the special people who
are taking these precious ones into their own homes to love forever.  I'm
going to miss all of them.

To my special babies, I love you all.  Especially 'baby girl'.  Please don't
forget me; I'll never forget you.

Kaye
Ferretville Shelter & Rescue