From:
Barbara A Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 14:07:40 -0500
My rascal ferret, Pepper (large silver mitt) is up to even more tricks than
usual!  He'd grown so large and trained so hard that he learned how to get
over the gates.  I kept adding height, but he'd work and work until he could
jump that, too.  So for now, until I figure out how to keep him in, when the
ferrets are out, he runs through the house.  All three floors and a
basement!

He's wreaked havoc everywhere.  He goes into the basement where I store my
food and likes to steal packages of Ramen noodles and hide them in the wood
shop.  It's not uncommon to see packages of toilet paper and paper towels
(with holes) abandoned in odd places (under the stairs, under the bed, under
just about anything).

Last night he learned a new trick (damn damn damn).  He either jumped into a
drawer left open by one of the kids, or learned how to open it himself (oh
no!) and got up onto the bathroom vanity.  He dug 75% of the dirt out of my
plant and proceeded to spread it all over the vanity top, the window sill,
the towels my kids had thrown in a heap on the floor and my beige bathroom
carpet!  Perfect little ferret foot-prints all *over* the place.  Potting
soil is *so* hard to clean up!

Then, after nearly having a heart attack from the mess, I coaxed him out
from his newest hiding place, behind my chest of drawers.  I spotted a piece
of material back there and managed to pull it out.  Then I saw some more
clothes.  And more; lots more.  I pulled the dresser away from the wall
(this thing is *huge*) and found he'd gotten into the bottom drawer and
pulled out all my frilly lingerie!  Then I started finding the rest.  He'd
apparently been making raids on my kotex for weeks, and had no less than 8
little packets under there.  THEN I saw he'd been raiding the garbage can
too!  Oh *YUCK*!!!  Pepper!  O_O Gawd.  And to think I'd been kissing those
little ferret lips all along ...

I *have* to get some kind of a door to keep him in the livingroom! Sheesh.

--Barb--
and the amazing Olympic ferret jumping machine

Barbara Carlson                   Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh PA
[log in to unmask]           Work: (412) 268-1342 Home: (412) 481-5927
 http://www.gsia.cmu.edu/andrew/bcarlson/home.html (under construction)
Thought for the day:
    If "boring women have immaculate homes," I must be very interesting!