From:
Jaymi Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 22:07:36 EDT
A new ferret "appeared" in my buisness about 2 weeks ago.  Ok, so I adopted
her from someone, but that's another story...Anyways, after she checked out
OK with the vet, she got to meet the rest of the bunch.  I have *never* had
a problem introducing new ones...until now.  I don't know if she smells
funny, looks funny, or is just one of those snobby ferrets, but I have
never had a fert get beaten up on so harshly.  I've been able to get her
used to Joe and Phil and rotate those 2 when it comes time to keep one in
the cage with her.  Maddie is about 8 months old, and has always been an
only ferret, which is part of the problem.  She has no clue how to interact
with other ferts, so she screams (she's a very vocal weasel) when one even
tries to scruff her and play with her.  She hisses when they (all but Joe
and Phil) come near her.  I blame that part on her being an only child,
and they leave her alone when she starts in on them.  Now here is my main
problem: Calvin.  Calvin is not a bright bulb, and he's deaf on top of it,
so he doesn't hear her scream "UNCLE!".  But when it comes to these two,
it's not a matter of him trying to play with her, and her getting confused
and scared.  Oh no, Calvin had to make it difficult this time.  He's out
for blood with Maddie.  He hunts her down, jumps on her back (picture the
Crocodile Hunter going after a croc), grabs her scruff, bites down, shakes
her harder then I've ever seen him shake anything, and his tail then
procedes to puff up.  Meanwhile, Maddie is pooping and screaming like
he's killing her, which I'm not doubting he is trying to do.  I've done
everything I've been able to think of.  Give him time out, put Ferretone on
her scruff, tried to introduce them by letting them smell each other, given
a plate of Ferretone so they can all lick at it together, given Calvin
extra attention, given everyone baths all at one, put some of her bedding
in with him...I was going to do the Bitter Apple on her scruff thing, but
she's got a few cuts from his teeth, and I don't think it would be wise to
put that stuff on the cuts...ouch!  Maddie actually either hides in/under
something while everyone is out, or jumps up on me, and sits on my
shoulders or in my arms watching everyone (and then Calvin jumps on me from
behind, grabs her, and she poops on me out of shear terror...yuck...).  I
know it's only been about 2 weeks, and sometimes this
introduction/acceptance thing can take a long time, but I'm hoping someone
can give me a suggestion to try something I haven't (I'm tired of the
neighbors thinking strange thoughts about the screaming, and I'm tired of
getting pooped on, to be quite honest).  The whole shift thing (letting
them out in groups at different times) really isn't an option at this point
(meaning: I'll do it at last resort...heh...) because they only have the
run of one room, which is the room their cages are in.  I tried yesterday
to do the shift thing, and the ones that had second shift raised holy hell
in their cages while watching the first shift run around and have fun.
They dug out litter,scattered food, beat the heck out of their water
bottles, etc...help!

I'm sorry this is so long, but anyone suggestions at this point would be
quite appreciated.

Take care!
Jaymi and Spencer
Plus...Leroy, Petra, Samson, Calvin, Heidegger, Joe, Phil, and Madigan
Missing Bubba, Bear, Kirby, and Oppie