From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 06:52:19 -0500
To Jeff Johnston:

OK, Jeff, I got carried away :) and didn't explain as thoroughly as I could
have - although you did a *much* better job that I could have anyway.

I shouldn't have said a vaccine at 6 wks is "thoroughly wasted" but that
starting vaccines that early does call for additional vaccines in the
series.

I vaccinate my kits at 8 wks, 11 weeks, and the new owner should complete
the series at 14 weeks.  Ideally, kits started at 6 wks should then be
vaccinated at 9, 12, and 15 weeks.

Since my kits are allowed to wean themselves, they still have maternal
immunity - or immunity from maternal antibodies in their systems at 6 wks,
thus the delay in the starting the series - and the need for one less
vaccination.

One more point: no matter when kits begin the vaccination series, *all*
ferrets need annual boosters.  So often I've heard, "my ferret had all its
shots when it was a kit." - That's not the end of it folks, annual boosters
are necessary to keep up the immunity.

Thanks, Jeff!

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA/DJF Ferrets