From:
Kris Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2010 08:31:09 -0500
I will be honest, I am a very picky person when it comes to volunteers
and children who want to assist us at the shelter. I have nothing
against children with special needs, because I was also a child with
special needs. I have seen the miracle that animals can do with
children and even adults in need. However, I do not feel it is
appropriate for all children or even some adults to be around the
ferrets. I maybe overly cautious, but I have seen in the past what
people can do to animals. I was always characterized as the "picker
upper", or the "fixer".

Anyhow, I have a high schooler who cleans cages and cuddles with some
of the ferrets at least once a week. When I adopt ferrets out, I too
make visits to the potential homes, interview everyone in the family.
Yes, it is time consuming but it is my peace of mind. I establish a
relationship with all adopters. Just, yesterday one of my adopters
called me because her ferret ate something and the ferret was vomiting.
I informed her what to do, told her to schedule a vet appointment,
assist her in anyway that I could. I even told her to bring the ferret
to me so that we could get fluids into her and she did. She drove 1
hour 45 minutes back to my house. Anyways, I receive emails, cards
and pictures of the "saved" ferrets.

I know being a shelter is time consuming, and there are trial and
errors to everything, but I always go out of my way to get things
right on track. I maybe compulsive, but this is the reason why I save
and train animals. I have worked with individuals all of my life,
especially with those who have disabilities. I am not a social worker,
or a psychologist, but I am a service dog trainer and licensed animal
behaviorist (one of my other college degrees). I always consider myself
a "jack of all trades, master of none". I love animals, and I always
try to assist in establishing a connection with the human and animal
world.

Kris Church LVT and vet school student
CO-DIRECTOR
RICHMOND FERRET RESCUE LEAGUE