From:
Phillip Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 12:58:47 -0600
Greetings to FML Readers,
I have been reading FML for a couple of years.  This is my first submissio
n.  I have 3 ferrets: Paelon (Sable, Male, 2 years) Diana (Albino, Female, 1
yrs 8 months) and recently Anastasia (Sable, Female, about 20 weeks).  I am
writing to tell everyone about a recent sickness in the clan.  First off,
both Paelon and Diana are from Marshall Farms.  Anastasia is from an
independent breeder somewhere in Kentucky???  My friend Michelle and I found
her at a local Pet store and fell in Love.  Anastasia Had the Hershey
squirts (all of the pet stores' ferrets did at the time).  We assumed it had
something to do with being recently Weaned.  (Duh!  I know now.) She also
had a swollen butt.  After a trip to a somewhat ferret friendly vet,
Anastasia checked out O.K.  So, We introduced her to our other kids.  They
got along great!  Paelon Didn't spend much time with the baby at first but,
Diana turned into a mommy.  In a few weeks, Paelon went from 2 lbs to just
over 1 lb.  He would vomit infrequently and He also quit pooping.  We took
him to another Vet and she ran blood and stool tests.  The vet had to
extract a stool sample (cringe!) and said it was green.  She also did X-rays
on Paelon to look for a blockage.  The Vet found Cochcidia (sp?) protozoa in
both Paelon and Diana's stools.  By this time, Both Paelon and Diana stopped
eating.  We immidiately seperated Anastasia from the others because she had
not shown signs of the parasite.  Both Infested ferrets are on .25(Paleon)
and .35(Diana) cc Albon (once daily).  We have been feeding them about 1/2
tsp.  Nutrical, twice a day (because they will not eat).  It is difficult
because we were in the process of changing from "Cat Chow" to "Science
Diet".  Paelon doesn't like anything but, Cat Chow.  There is still about 9
days of treatment to go.  Hopefully, everything will work out alright.

    Phillip and Michelle (humans)
    Paelon (wondering about the status of his Toilet-paper roll collection),
    Diana (Misses her "Vita-minz") and
    Anastasia (Wondering why she has to live in the Blue cage now)