From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Feb 1995 00:34:17 -0500
To Rafael Garcia whose ferret won't eat treats:

This is not something to complain about!!!!  Ferrets can get in very bad
habits with treats, such as diarrhea, the propensity to eat all osrts of odd
things, and the desire not to eat their own food because of their love for
something else.  Then there is the problem of us humans giving them things
they shouldn't be eating, anyway.

My advice - don't force the treats.  Your ferret is better off with its own
food.  Giving treats primarily makes US feel better.

To Linda Doran concerning anesthesia:

Linda - don't be afreaid of anesthesia.  If done properly, HEALTHY anima ls
have little to fear ( or their owners).  You always run a risk with
anesthesia, and Oscar proved that to me today.  But he was a very sick ferret.
Failure to pay attention to health details, such as teeth can make your ferret
sick, and then when you get around to finally doing the teeth, you run a
higher risk of anesthetic complications.

Even though today's anesthetic problem was unfortunate, it doesn't scare me
off of recommending anesthesia.  We got beaten by the odds with a sick ferret -
with a healthy one the odds are VERY much in your favor.

Bruce Williams  [log in to unmask]