From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 11:46:06 -0000

Zen wrote:-
>A properly written show standard has health (and temperament) as its core
>value.  The standard should promote what is healthy in ferrets and penalize
>what is unhealthy.  Ferrets with genetic problems would be both against the
>standard and possibly unhealthy.  Breeding toward the standard would be
>better than breeding over sized or undersized ferrets.  Or breeding ferrets
>with overly short noses leading to potential breathing problems.

I never said anything about breeding from unhealthy stock or breeding from
stock which was genetically unsound - I said "Show standards and colour
breeding can take a back seat" I stand by that.......... health and
temperament come first.  I show my ferrets I win prizes with 'em they are
all strays.  You get I'm saying.............

Breeding for size?  A ferret, is a ferret, is a ferret - what the heck has
size got to do with it.  I thought we were breeding for temperament and
health here.............. If it's too big for going down a rabbit hole we
can always use 'em for bolting foxes:-)

I have no desire to see ferrets go the way of some show dogs, the breathing
problems of the bulldog, bad hips in Labradors, snappy golden English
cocker spaniels.  PRA in some breeds.

>If the American example is followed, temperament would be one of the
>aspects of a ferret that carries the highest number of points when judging
>pet ferrets.

Yes, if a ferret bites a judge in the UK it's disqualified.

>Shows are not the one truest and best things about ferrets but they are not
>leading toward the destruction of the creature.  Promoting the breeding of
>healthy and well behaved ferrets is one of the stated goals of all US show
>systems.  There is still much to be done to improve ferret shows in the US
>but the over all results are positive for ferrets in general.

What about the ferrets that don't meet the breeders standards?  Just a bit
too big or too small do they get put down?

>Shows provide much needed publicity to the plights of ferrets.  Attendees
>learn more about proper care of ferrets.  New products are introduced to
>ferret owners.

Yup.  That's why I take all my ferrets along to country show, fairs, fetes,
carnivals and anywhere that I can get my gang booked in.  The public,
some of whom have never handled a ferret end up cuddling one, I hand out
leaflets promoting good husbandry.  Push ferret welfare for all its worth,
collect donations to help with my rescue work.  I don't sell any stock at
shows, it's very bad practice as far as I'm concerned.  Folk attending
shows don't come prepared to purchase ferrets.  We like them go away, learn
all they can about ferrets and then come and see us a few months later.  We
don't like on spec buyers.  We also put on ferret racing - the punters have
a bet and if we're lucky the favourite doesn't win so we're in pocket.  The
ferrets enjoy the racing as much as the public.

>Some breeders do take shows far too seriously for what we think is right.
>So what?  Most of us are just there to meet and remeet others with a
>similar interest.  Many people think that merely being so interested in
>ferrets to take part in this forum is taking ferrets far too seriously.

What about the ferret keeper whose stock doesn't win.  Some of 'em can't
wait to off-load the "useless animals":-(

>If you don't like the idea of shows, fine.  Don't go.  Those who like the
>idea are not inherently evil and about to do great harm to the who species
>of ferrets.

I never said I didn't like the idea of shows.  I show my ferrets 2 or 3
times a year.  I just hate the idea of a show standard - you understand?
NO show standard.  Shows should be fun, a place for ferret keepers to meet
and chat about ferrets - not a place for cut throat competition.

>We as ferret owners and fanciers should revel in our mutual love for
>ferrets rather than pick at those who have somewhat different ideas about
>how to appreciate their ferrets.  Shelters and breeders are allies.
>Showers of ferrets and shelters are allies.

I wouldn't say that some UK breeders are allies of the rescues - to us they
are a pain in the neck.  They just breed ferrets for the sake of breeding
and to hell with what happens to surplus stock.  Sell 'em at country shows
at a fiver a time - yes, even to youngsters who are not legally old enough
to purchase livestock.  It goes on, I've seen people going round country
shows with ferret boxes over their shoulders off-loading kits to anyone who
would buy and to hell with the welfare of the ferret.

Oh and BTW at the last time I showed some of my ferrets Casanova was best
polecat hob.  Piper was placed first in coloured jill.  Stanley won the
disabled/personality class - he's blind with cataracts on both eyes, do I
get him put down cos he doesn't meet the standard?  Inga was placed 4th in
the same class.  Lily was 4th in sandy jill.  Plus 3 of my ferrets did ok
in the racing as well.

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & Editor of The National Ferret Welfare Society.
Web Site: www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm  last update 28 Feb 1999
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge: Jill, Deanna Troy, Cameron, Carnath, Button,
Bill & Bobby.