Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:34:21 -0400
My little girl, Penny, who was the last of my adopted ferrets years
ago, from the "Gimmee Shelter Ferret Rescue" went to Rainbow Bridge
this morning. I knew last night she was going to be leaving me as she
did not want to eat, even after giving her sulcrafate and waiting to
feed her. I have been syringe feeding her to get her going and she
would continue eating. I noticed she was eating less and less. Penny
had insolinoma, adrenal disease and a cancer tumor that was huge and
engulfing her organs. She was very bald but still got Melatonin
implants and monthly Luporn shots for about 2 years.

Penny came from a bad situation where she was tossed out of a window in
the worst neighborhood in the MA/RI area. Someone saw Penny, grabbed
her and put her in a box and called Gimmee Shelter Ferret Rescue. Jan
picked her up and after all was well, she was put up for adoption. I
saw the very timid little Black Roan Mitt and had to have her. Well,
after having her home, she came out of her shell and became Miss
Anklebiter. She was the spunkiest little girl I had ever had. She was
approx 6 months old when I got her, she was just a baby. She bonded
with another little male I had adopted from a want ad magazine years
ago and these 2 were always together, they were about the same age.
Snuffy has insolinoma, adrenal disease and a growing cancer in his
stomach area which is pushing on his heart area and lungs. I had taken
him in for surgery and an xray was taken and due to his lung condition
and rounded heart, surgery was cancelled as my vet felt he was a very
high risk for surgery. I know his time is coming too and all I can do
is love him as I love them all. This is the worst part of ferret
ownership, yet I do know, all ferrets that have people to love and
care for them, are the lucky ones as well as us.

It tends to be harder losing a sick ferret as you tend to bond with
them more because so much of your time is required. I know Penny had
a wonderful life here and could not want for more and that does help
give me peace.

Our hearts go out to all of you that have lost a ferret or have a sick
one. Just remember, that these ferrets with loving homes or people who
love them at shelters are the lucky ones. So many are dumped and
unwanted. Thank God for caring people and the wonderful little ferrets
that come into our lives.

Eleanor, Donald and the 10 ferrets (missing Penny)