From:
Melissa H <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 02:13:05 GMT
Multiple Ferret Household.

I'm looking at my dining room.  Well, what USED to be my dining room.  The
dining room table has long since met the Dumpster Gods, and the ferrets
have taken over.

There are 13 of them now.

Yep, 13.  I'm kinda shocked myself.  I never thought that getting Shiloh as
a way to get myself out of a depression would snowball into an avalanche.

I have a Midwest Playpen, 3 Superpet Fun-nel cages (the HUGE ones,) a
medium Superpet Fun-nel cage, and two smaller one or two ferret cages.  I
own more dryer vents than purses.  There are at least a hundred ferret
toys, evenly spread in several of my kitchen cabinets and drawers.  My
first aid kit is the ferrets' first aid kit.

How do I manage a multiple ferret household?  The system is still in
development.  It's subject to change at anytime.

FEEDING

There is one central feeding dish, twist tied in place.  I fill it in
the morning, and sometimes at night.  I buy food in BULK, 20 pound bags of
each of my base foods, then package it into 3 pound plastic bags for easy
storage and serving.

I make my Bob C's Chicken Gravy twice a month or so, freeze it in baggies,
and thaw one at a time in the fridge.

WATER

I am now in love with the new Oasis InstaFill bottles....it cuts out The
Water Bottle Relay before I head out for work.  Now I just fill a gallon
jug and pour pour pour.  Once a week I take them down and scrub and
disinfect them.

LITTERBOXES/POOP MANAGEMENT

They get changed out once a day, new wood pellets put in, and totally
scrubbed once every other week.  If I see someone pooping, I go and look
to see how it looks.  If I have a question about someone's health, I'll
separate them into a cage with Biscuit (who doesn't use the litterbox
because she's incontinent.) If all's well, they go back in the main cage.
If not, we head for the vet.

PLAYTIME/QUALITY TIME

The ferrets are out of their cages from 5pm until midnight or later every
day.  I release them and they scatter.  I know someone wants to play with
me when they cling to my leg, or climb onto my lap.  If I find a sleepy
ferret curled up somewhere, I'll pick them up and cuddle them in my lap.
When I go by the cages, someone is usually up for some one-on-one time....
usually a shoulder ride around the apartment to make sure everything is in
order.

GROOMING

Every Wednesday night, I release the gang one at a time.  I'll pull one,
clean ears and do nails, and then off to play.  Over and over and over
and over and over.  I do my mini-check up then, too.  Make sure teeth are
clean, nothing's swollen or tender and all the hair and skin looks like it
should.

That's all my fingers can handle now...but if you have any questions you
can email or ICQ me 42261410

Take care!

Melissa