From:
"Scott B. Maitland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 20:46:00 EDT
I would like to thank everyone who provided suggestions and information
concerning Hannah.  Unfortunately we weren't able to win this fight.

She quit taking all food and water, including our hand-feeding which had
been working so well.  On Wednesday she began throwing up again but it was
mostly bile this time.  We barely got any food into her Wednesday night.

Took her to the vet today primarily thinking we had to put her down.  The
vet felt something in the bowel which he thought might be the obstruction
we didn't see with x-rays.  We decided to attempt surgery to remove the
foreign body (or) if it was something worse, we would euthanize her.
Sadly, she had a tumor that had grown thru the bowel wall and extended into
the connective tissue and appeared to be in the lymph nodes.  Apparently
this tumor continued to grow until it blocked the bowel leading to her
inability to eat (or want) food.

I've had three ferrets and two have been lost fairly young to cancer.  It's
such a shame that these little guys are so prone to developing this
disease.  Thanks again to everyone who gave their assistance and concern...
it truly helped.

                         Scott